select a location and spot from this interactive map - they
all have strong Goldhanger connections
note: there is a separate page for Local farms within the parish
Before it became a mill and maltings the site was previously a saltworks with a tidemill adjacent, all three at one time recorded within the Goldhanger Parish. The salt works were converted to a mill and malting in around 1825. More details in... The Barrow Marshes
Vaulty Manor is within Goldhanger Parish and was given to Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk, by Henry VIII in 1538. Much later on it was the home of the Coe-Coape and Coape-Arnold families and Henry Coe Coape, a local well known Victorian author. The name of Vaulty Manor has been spelt many different ways over the years and today is at the very western edge of the parish. Today Vaulty Manor is a wedding and corporate events venue. More details in... Local farms
Barrow Marsh Farm
Barrow Marsh Farm was once all within Goldhanger Parish and parts still are. Before the seawall was completed in the early 1800s at this location, Barrow Marsh was part of a long strip of salt marshes from Wash Brook to Heybridge. It had been divided over the centuries between Gt. and Lt. Totham and Goldhanger to give the inland villages access to the navigable waters and salt extraction. More details in... The Barrow Marshes
Millbeach was the location of a windmill that was at one time within Goldhanger Parish. The original windmill was built on a pre-existing mound or barrow. More about this in... More details in... The Barrow Marshes
was once a tidemill at this location. Little is known about it, but it
appears on old maps and on Deeds, some referring to a “watermill”, with a
Goldhanger address. More details in... The Barrow
are Deeds and a newpaper advertisement that record that this farm once had a
details in... The Barrow Marshes
document from Henry VIIIs time refers to lands called “Caunterberyes in
Goldaunger, Essex”. Also Deeds dated 1569 refers to Canterberies at
Goldhanger. These documents would suggest that this farm, near Jacobs Farm on
the Goldhanger Road in Heybridge, was once within Goldhanger parish. More
details in... The Barrow Marshes
Chappel Farm and nearby Chapel
Chappel Farm is just over the parish boundary in Lt Totham. The name of the farm is derived from the chapel that was nearby where Bobbets Villa once stood at Bobbets Hole. There was once a cross-roads here between an east-west inland route between Goldhanger and Maldon and a north-south route between Tiptree and Osea Island.
Little London Farm
Little London Farm is within Goldhanger Parish and in the 1940s-50s was the summer home of Jack Cohen founder of the TESCO supermarket chain. While living at Little London Farm he created Goldhanger Fruit Farms at Tolleshunt Major, which was a fruit and vegetable canning factor. More details in... Local farms
Little Totham Church and Hall
For centuries All Saints Church Little Totham and St Peters Church Goldhanger have been a shared benefice. The Revd. Gardner dedicated the East window at All Saints to his son Cyril Gardner who was killed in the Great War. The two villages also had the same Lord-of-the-Manor and Lt Totham Hall, which is adjacent to All Saints Church, was the seat of the Lt Totham-cum-Goldhanger Lord-of-the-Manor.
In the 16th century Beckingham Hall was a grand Tudor style building with an impressive gatehouse and a large estate embracing several farms, including Highams Farm. The Hall was gifted by Henry VIII to Stephen Beckenham in 1544. Later owners included Sir Christopher Clitherow (1578-1641) and the Revd Dr Daniel Williams (1643-1711) both of whom established local charities for the poor in the area. For two hundred years the gatehouse at Beckinham Hall has been an attractive subject for artists. For more on about the Hall see... Beckingham Hall history.
The Treacle pits discovered alongside the Tudwick Road around 1890 are said to have influenced the author of Alice in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll who stayed at the Goldhanger Rectory as the guest of the Revd. C B Leigh at the time the story was being written around 1865 and included the famous Treacle Mines. A long, and apparently serious article about the Tudwick treacle pits was published in the 1972 edition of the Essex Police Magazine, and a copy is held in the local archives. The article explains that the molasses originated from sugar beet imported from the continent through local ports and stored in fields along the Tudwick Road, but were never used due to a collapse in prices.
Famous Dr Henry Salter lived in Darcy House, Tolleshunt Darcy between 1864 and 1932 and was the GP for a large area that included Goldhanger. His 400 page published biography with extensive extracts from his diary contains many references to Goldhanger and the immediate area, and has a wealth of local historical medical information in it which has enabled Public Health at Goldhanger to be documented. Dr Salter also had a major involvement in the Spitzbergen explorations.
Rockleys farmhouse is just inside Tolleshunt Major parish, but has several connections with Goldhanger. In February 1918 Second Lieutenant Sydney Armstrong from Goldhanger Flight Station was killed close to Rockleys when his biplane crashed there. He is buried in a military grave in St Peter's churchyard at Goldhanger and is named on the War Memorial.
In the 1940s the McMullen family lived there, and Mrs Maude McMullen was president and producer of many of the Goldhanger Players productions. The family commissioned Goldhanger builder Bernard Mann to convert the ancient barn at Rockleys to use it for musical evenings, plays and social events. Today The Barn is available as self-catering holiday accommodation.
On the boundary between Goldhanger and Tolleshunt Major parishes, Longwick Farm was once within Goldhanger parish. In 1787 there was a legal dispute between the Rector of Goldhanger Church and the owner of Longwick Farm and a trial about payment of Tithes, but the Rector gave up the claim. A report of the court action is held in Ancient documents. Today Maldon Crystal Salt Co. have a large sea salt processing plant in the farm buildings there. More details in... Local farms
Highams Farm is on the border between Tolleshunt Major and Goldhanger parishes, and was also part of Beckingham Hall estate. The farm is named after the Higham family who were the owners in the 15th and 16th century and had the Lady Chapel built on St Peters Church. Their family tomb is in the chapel. In the early 20th century Highams Farm and Old Rectory Farm were farmed by Charles Page. More details in... Local farms
Lauriston Farm formerly had the name of Harveys Farm. It was changed by a Mr Laurie, who owned the farm and farmhouse in the early 1900s. He shipped large quantities of stones and shingle from the Blackwater Estuary foreshore to London and renamed the farm Lauriston. Today Lauriston Farm is a managed using Biodynamic Organic Techniques, is Site of Special Scientific Interest and offers educational courses and visitor tours. An ancient decoy pond close to the seawall and the farm has recently been restored, and oyster beds also close by have been re-developed in recent years.